For the authors out there. Pros and cons of Smashwords and Amazon KDP.
Right. I’ve used both platforms, and they each have their pros and cons.
Things I like about Smashwords:
- They distribute to B&N, iTunes and others.
- I can make the price anything from $0.00 (Free!) to anything I like.
- They pay into my PayPal account.
Things I don’t like about Smashwords:
- The ‘meatgrinder‘ * ebook compiler is truly awful, making formatting for Smashwords a nightmare. For example, I can’t get my text to look the way I want it to, with both indents and after spacing.
- The dashboard is lumpy — accurate, but difficult to navigate and well, just lumpy. *
- They insist I submit the work in .doc format or similar – not pre-formatted in epub or mobi.
* You’ll see what I mean about it being lumpy by checking out the above links. Wading through the Smashwords Style Guide is like trying to swim in molasses.
View original post 268 more words